Saturday, May 19, 2012

Proud Mom Moment: Drew Goes to Prom!!

I remember thinking I would never be able to leave the house with my son without coming back extremely exhausted. That's changed over time, but I never envisioned him going to a prom--with a date. Last night, that became a reality.

I also thought buying his clothes would be a nightmare. We got done--with Caren's help--in less than an hour. Drew surprised me tremendously. He cooperated well, his clothes look very good on him, and as I watched him leave with Amy, a high school friend of Caren's, I felt such a mix of emotions--anxiety, pride, and amazement. My son, whom I had, at one point, been afraid would never be able to be out of my sight, went to a prom, with a date. Sure, she was an old friend, but he's had a crush on her forever, and she's always been good with him and to him. Still, I was nervous because he was nervous. It was a "special needs" prom, but...would he script--loudly? Would he "stand out" because of his classic autistic behavior? Would his necktie bother him? What if it got too loud? Would he want to leave?

We took several pictures, and they looked great together. It made me hopeful that it would go well. Then they were off.

The whole time they were gone, I admit, I worried. I also kept trying to reassure myself. He was with Amy. He'd be okay.

He was. She even said she'd enjoyed it, too, and I have every reason to believe she did. Friday, May 18, 2012 was an amazing day. My son went to a prom, and he had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment